Silverstone Circuit, named for the nearby village of Silverstone, which in turned was named after the circuit, is multi-purpose motor racing facility in Northamptonshire, England.
Originally built in 1943 as an important international airport, with frequent flights to Berlin, Nürnberg (not to be confused with Nürburgring) and other parts of Mainland Europe, the airport was shut down in 1947 due to the decline of Germany as a holiday destination. The runways, exterior roads and surrounding land was sold to the BRDC (British Retired Dogfighters Club) who, as they no longer had any aeroplanes to fly, repurposed it as a motor racing circuit complete with hay bales and everything.
In the 6 decades that followed, the circuit saw numerous changes, including the addition of a burger van, the erection of eternally locked grandstands (bringing the total seating capacity of the circuit to 0), and the sowing of several fields for racegoers to graze and frolic in.
In 2010 the circuit saw its most ambitious and expensive redevelopment to date with major reconfiguring of the circuit, the relocation of the pit lane, and the building of a single wing. The original plans showed a more traditional two-winged formation, but due to the great recession only the one was completed. Still, it'll do for now.