• 29/11/2020 Formula RPM 7: Macau | 13/12/2020 Formula RPM 8: Suzuka | 19/12/2020 Crashmas X

Forza Motorsport Series (Currently 7) (Xbox One)

Discussion about anything related to other racing games not covered by the forums above or racing games in general, including but not limited to hardware discussions, guides and the like.
blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Re: Forza Motorsport 6

Postby blairy20 » 27 Jan 2016, 23:44

If there was ever a car pack to be considered a "troll". One car of note and even then it's getting on a bit, the DP. Disappointing really.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 28 Jan 2016, 00:01

It's not even the pretty Daytona Prototype.
1x
Have fun.

HCR Noodle
Team: Happy Cat Racing
Wiki Page: ItsMeMario
Twitter: @HCR_Noodle

Postby HCR Noodle » 01 Feb 2016, 13:27

A selection of cars I've built and designed so far. Some may have been posted before, others not.

Enjoy! :)
4x

PJTierney
Name: PJ Tierney
Car No: 45
Team: Goteki House
Wiki Page: PJ
Twitter: @PJ_Tierney

Postby PJTierney » 05 Feb 2016, 14:30

100% Complete: Career

100%: Complete: Stories of Motorsport

100% Complete: Showcases

100% Complete: Achievements
3x

PJ Tierney
| Social Media Manager at Codemasters

Lotus Elise Anniversary Series - Drivers' & Teams' Champion
Mega GT World Tour - Drivers' & Teams' Champion
Miata Masters - Drivers' Champion
GT Super Sprint Series - Teams' Champion

293 Race Event Starts | 3 Drivers' Championships | 3 Teams' Championships | 2 Special Event Wins | 33 Race Event Wins | 7 Rally Stage Wins

Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Ratonedge
Car No: 5
Team: ATTK Motorsport - NMR

Postby Ratonedge » 06 Feb 2016, 22:40

Do you have to punch a producer in the TopGear showcase?
2x
Covamalia wrote:
Who do you see as your main rivals?
Ratboy, who will be going very fast but slowly.

Ratonedge wrote:also I am never racing Sedona again. fucking god awful abomination of a place

D0n M4730
Car No: 85
Team: Team Diablo/PSP Motorsports
Twitter: @D0n_M4730

Postby D0n M4730 » 07 Feb 2016, 14:10

So now that you've done everything in Forza, what's next @PJTierney?

I still think you should rethink your aversion to PC racing, you could do well.
3x

blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 07 Feb 2016, 17:31

He'd be one of the fastest straight away ;)
0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 10 Feb 2016, 11:09

0x

PJ Tierney

293 Race Event Starts | 3 Drivers' Championships | 3 Teams' Championships | 2 Special Event Wins | 33 Race Event Wins | 7 Rally Stage Wins

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 11 Feb 2016, 10:59

0x

PJ Tierney

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 16 Feb 2016, 11:12

Probably my last livery on Forza Motorsport 6, a quick 30 minute job so that I have something to use in this week's MX-5 spec racing lobbies.

1x

PJ Tierney

blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 16 Feb 2016, 20:38

Why your last, PJ?
0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 16 Feb 2016, 21:30

blairy20 wrote:Why your last, PJ?

>>

PJTierney wrote:
ABGRAPHICS wrote:Hi!!

I'm not back. Sorry!
Just figured better drop in instead of just disappearing.

I've decided to refocus my time into my design and typography work, so Forza has moved down my priority list.

I will be back now and again to try and box off a few cars, but to be honest its turning into the most deflating game I play. There's just nothing much left to focus on and its too much of a grind in hours spent on logos for no gain other than useless virtual currency. If there is ever anything going on from a community standpoint then i'll come back and join in so drop me a note on XBL.

Will drop back in now and again, so to those I know thank you for the inspiration and support, catch you all soon.

Alex
[AB]

Understandable, as I have also started to wind back my livery work. There's just no incentive to create liveries anymore, and it's clear from Turn 10's social media activity that they tend to ignore painters and focus on photographers (no offence to the photographers of course, they do great work). I tried to get Turn 10's attention with the livery contest winners thread but eventually found that it was a pointless exercise.

Why spend 40 hours on a Forza paint when I can put that time towards some "real work"?

I still play every day as I'm an active and competitive racer (I'm known more as a racer than a painter in some parts of this forum) but nowadays I just download somebody else's design instead of making ones from scratch.

In short, Turn 10 don't care about the community as much as they used to and the way that liveries are shared in-game makes them near impossible to find. Or to put it another way, painting is a pointless excercise when I can just download somebody else's and spend those 20+ hours racing instead.

While the base game is great and I enjoy racing online, the community that was vibrant during the Forza Motorsport 4 days has dwindled, as Turn 10 have stripped features and scaled back on what they do in terms of community interaction:

PJTierney wrote:I've been thinking more about community features recently and how things have gone on with Forza Motorsport 6. Now that we're almost 4 months into the game's life cycle one can make a reasonable assumption that things are as they are and won't change for quite a while.

[h]The Good:[/h]

I like that Johniwanna and Mechberg do live streams every week and that we get to race against them. John's fun to watch and Brian's a good competitor in a Hopper.

I like that the community was able to get involved in some web content for ForzaMotorsport.net, namely the "All Cars" project. That was a good example of the community having an opportunity to "give something back" to the game.

Although I don't bother with them myself, I appreciate that there have been some Holiday Bash painting events.

It's nice to get some free cars with custom liveries each month. I don't use many of them but sometimes there'll be a neat paint for a car that I'll end up using a lot, like the Halo 5 GT350R that I've been using in this week's League races.

I like that I can download a tune that somebody has used directly from the in-game Leaderboards, and that if I wanted I can grab paints and tunes I see in the Hoppers as well.

I like the League system, it's updated weekly and the racing has been good most nights.

[h]The Not-So-Good:[/h]

Finding Liveries within the game is very cumbersome. Ever since Forza Motorsport 5 we have had to rely on a "one car" system which is quite limiting. Dan Greenawalt spoke pre-release about how Forza Motorsport 6 will "help turn painters into heroes". It's hard to do that when I can't find all of a painter's content in one simple place. Turn 10 already had the solution in place in Forza Motorsport 4 with the Storefront, I honestly don't know why they went away form that and figured that the current solution was an improvement. With the current system, if your design is not a contest winner, it may as well not exist since it gets so few downloads.

Tuners have it even tougher in Forza Motorsport 6, as the "Get Tunes" section only shows results in order of date created (newest first). There is no "Sort by Rating" option like you get with Liveries. You cannot specify a certain drivetrain in your search results ether, so if you're looking for a good RWD or AWD tune on a car that's naturally FWD, you'll have a hard time finding one. There are no official tuning contests either (although given that that involves test driving it's understandable) so unless your tune is the kind that's capable of setting Top 20 leaderboard times it's going to be forgotten within a day.

Painters get a Weekly contest just like Photographers do, but unlike Photographers the winning designs aren't officially showcased anywhere or shared on Social media and Forza Hub. Winning Photographs have a potential audience of over a million people due to the fact that they're shared on the official Facebook/Twitter pages and Forza Hub. Painters don't get that, and since may of them are aspiring graphic designers that's a large chunk of exposure that they're not getting. For all we know "the next Andy Blackmore" could be a Forza player but real life racing teams aren't seeing that player's potential. We all know that auto manufacturers pay attention to Forza; having winning designs featured could have benefits that extend beyond the game for some people.

Winning livery designs aren't documented anywhere officially, which when combined with the current way of "finding" liveries, makes it very hard to actually find any contest winners unless you're active on the forums and know where to look. As such it makes it hard for the average player to discover a new painter that they might like to follow.

League information isn't shared officially in any capacity. There's nothing on the official website, no weekly blog post detailing what cars and tracks feature in the next event. It seems that the community is expected to pick up the slack and do the legwork to get information out there.

"Community Monthly" Rivals events haven't been updated in a long time.

There are no Drag Racing leaderboards or Rivals events. There are Drag Leaderboards, but they appear to be hidden away unless you "break your game" to find them.

Kicking troublesome players out of a Hopper has become a lot more difficult, which in turn means that most Multiplayer races start off with big crashes.

There are no Clubs or clublike features. I didn't use them much but there are people out there who liked it.

There is no way to Gift user-created content to other players. I sort of understand the reason for this but it's still something I miss from Forza Motorsport 4.

There is often no acknowledgement of popular issues on the forums. If a bunch of people are talking about something for a while, a simple "thanks for the feedback, we'll look into it" would suffice. That way players know their feedback is being heard and they may provide more in the future. Most players don't complain because they hate the game, but rather the opposite, and they're trying in their own way to make it even better.

---------

Sorry if that went a bit negative towards the end, just wanted to get some thoughts out there and start a discussion.

PJTierney wrote:Honestly, I had more fun with Forza Motorsport 4.

Forza Motorsport 6 is a good game and for now I'm still playing every night, but I'm already winding things down after only 5 months. It was at this point in Forza Motorsport 4's life cycle that I was starting to increase my involvement with the game, joining competitive racing leagues, exploring the painting community, making myself more knowledgeable about tuning and game physics etc.

I played Forza Motorsport 4 for 3 years and by the end still hadn't felt that I had experienced everything. 5 months into Forza Motorsport 6 and I'm already thinking about what other games I'll move on to. Many of the community and multiplayer features of Forza Motorsport 4 kept me interested, and with them stripped down or removed completely from Forza Motorsport 6 there's not much left to tie me into the game for the long haul. Even Gran Turismo 6 has lasted longer for me (18 months), despite the key issues that that title had with features.

Sorry for the wall of text, just figured I'd give some more context ;)
2x

PJ Tierney

HFG Ben
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Ben Haddleton
Car No: 777
Team: Firecruiser Racing Team
Wiki Page: Covamalia
Steam ID: HFGBen
Twitter: @bmgh85

Postby HFG Ben » 16 Feb 2016, 21:53

Yup. Time to get a PC ;)
3x

Dan Holder
Steam ID: dan9378
Twitter: northernerdan

Postby Dan Holder » 17 Feb 2016, 00:26

The only thing that keeps forza going now are the little online communities dotted around away from their own forum. Their forum is just a hostile, rant filled troll fest. In some cases the biggest trolls being the mods, and so many long time and we'll involved members of the community pushed away as a direct result.

The next forza needs a massive overhaul, or I fear it will be the last. Which is a shame, because until 4, the series was epic. 5 was just abysmal, and 6 little more than a polished turd.
1x

blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 17 Feb 2016, 11:35

That's utterly understandable, PJ.

If the club did livery contests, then that'd be the only reason for you to get a PC really.
0x

HFG Ben
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby HFG Ben » 17 Feb 2016, 12:41

blairy20 wrote:That's utterly understandable, PJ.

If the club did livery contests, then that'd be the only reason for you to get a PC really.

Oh you mean like the.... wait... PAGE DELETED?!? :(

Looks like @DanThorn is the holder of that title forever then!
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 17 Feb 2016, 12:54

My cunning plan worked! ;)
0x

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team
Name: Campbell Wallis
Car No: 64
Team: Kaibutsu Racing
Steam ID: camp_bell
Twitter: camp__bell

Postby camp_bell » 17 Feb 2016, 14:06

I was actually thinking it would be cool if we had some kind of painting contest (you know, something else for me to finish 12th in) since we've got the PC side. Little did I know there had already been one.
0x
"He's rolled the car at Dunlop. How has he managed that? I'm genuinely impressed."

HFG Ben
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby HFG Ben » 18 Feb 2016, 07:53

DanThorn wrote:My cunning plan worked! ;)

Alright, Baldrick.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Re: Forza Motorsport 6 (Xbox One)

Postby ajokay » 19 Feb 2016, 13:57

0x
Have fun.

D0n M4730
Car No: 85
Team: Team Diablo/PSP Motorsports
Twitter: @D0n_M4730

Postby D0n M4730 » 19 Feb 2016, 14:49

Very interesting. The trouble with that though is, as that article points out, they can't just port the console version over - they have to include more features and make some adjustments to please the hardcore sim racers, and some adaptations to the PC environment.

That said, I feel like Forza (or a game like it) has a place on the PC. Personally I always liked the way that Forza walked the tightrope between being a pick-up-and-play arcade title and a more serious simulation. Yes, it was frustrating at times when it didn't do things realistically enough, but I also appreciated the fact that you could pick it up and be reasonanbly good at it without investing lots of time in it. I know the fact that you need to put the time in with a proper sim is one of the attractions for some people, but not everyone wants a hardcore sim that can only be played with a wheel and requires hours of practice just to drive a lap without crashing. Not all of the time, at the very least.

If it comes out on the PC I'll certainly look into it. Although, once again, I'm not sure my PC would be up to it. :?
1x

Bye_Jr
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Tom White
Car No: 25
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Bye_Jr
Twitter: @Bye_Jr

Postby Bye_Jr » 19 Feb 2016, 17:25

D0n M4730 wrote:

Very interesting. The trouble with that though is, as that article points out, they can't just port the console version over - they have to include more features and make some adjustments to please the hardcore sim racers, and some adaptations to the PC environment.

That said, I feel like Forza (or a game like it) has a place on the PC. Personally I always liked the way that Forza walked the tightrope between being a pick-up-and-play arcade title and a more serious simulation. Yes, it was frustrating at times when it didn't do things realistically enough, but I also appreciated the fact that you could pick it up and be reasonanbly good at it without investing lots of time in it. I know the fact that you need to put the time in with a proper sim is one of the attractions for some people, but not everyone wants a hardcore sim that can only be played with a wheel and requires hours of practice just to drive a lap without crashing. Not all of the time, at the very least.

If it comes out on the PC I'll certainly look into it. Although, once again, I'm not sure my PC would be up to it. :?

I was talking to @lemming77 about this a few weeks ago, and we both said that if forza came to PC we would both instantly buy it. I have plenty of serious PC sims, I want one that sits on the border between sim and arcade game and that's what Forza is shaping up to be.

Also the mod/upgrade system is one of the things I really miss.
1x

Really Rubbish Racing's Second Fastest Driver In Really Real Life 2k15

Lemm314
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: April Carlsvard
Car No: 314
Team: Fury
Wiki Page: lemming77
Steam ID: lemm314
Twitter: Lemm314

Postby Lemm314 » 19 Feb 2016, 17:43

Provided it doesn't come out with something silly like SecuROM DRM, only supports Xbone compatible wheels, or has a 30fps cap, then my plan is still to buy it instantly.

I'm always going to be more interested in the more geeky simulations out there, I won't lie. But, like @Bye_Jr, I like the idea of having something simpler to relax with without it feeling like child's play. And as I understand it, Forza 6 + Horizon 3 would fit that perfectly.
0x
"April... You absolute bitch" - Neil 15/09/2017

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 19 Feb 2016, 17:44

lemming77 wrote:Provided it doesn't come out with something silly like SecuROM DRM
It needs Windows 10, if that's DRM-y enough for you.
0x
Have fun.

Lemm314
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: April Carlsvard
Car No: 314
Team: Fury
Wiki Page: lemming77
Steam ID: lemm314
Twitter: Lemm314

Postby Lemm314 » 19 Feb 2016, 17:51

I'm on Windows 10 anyway, so I guess not. :P

Windows 10 has its issues though, I definitely can't deny that.
0x
"April... You absolute bitch" - Neil 15/09/2017